Site Widgets and SEO
Site widgets and SEO:
What is Duplicate Content?
Duplicate content is content that appears on the Internet in more than one place. This is a problem because when there are more than one piece of identical content on the Internet, it is difficult for search engines to decide which version is more relevant to a given search query.
Three of the biggest issues with duplicate content include:
- Search engines don’t know which version(s) to include/exclude from their indices
- Search engines don’t know whether to direct the link metrics trust,authority,anchor text, link juice, etc.) to one page, or keep it separated between multiple versions
- Search engines don’t know which version(s) to rank for query results
When duplicate content is present, site owners suffer rankings and traffic losses and search engines provide less relevant results.
Points to remember about iFrames:
- The content in an iframe is not considered part of the parent page.
- The page within an iframe may be spidered and indexed (or it may be not) but no PR is definitely passed.
- A screen reader will normally turn the iFrame into a link to the source page (like Lynx) (unless they have a better alternative like text. Question is will the content feed have an adverse affect on your content and keyword density.
- Links within the iframe element are accessible via the keyboard as if the content were within the web page containing the iframe.